Thursday, December 3, 2015

25 Days 2 Christmas - Names

Do you know the meaning of your name? I googled my first name and discovered the name "David" is of Hebrew origin, and it means "Beloved". When I consider this meaning for my identity, I ask myself, "Am I a person who lives in such a manner that it creates the response of being dearly loved?"

The meaning of names carries a lot of significance in the Christmas story. Joseph is told by an angel in a dream "...to name him Jesus,for he will save his people from their sins.” (Matthew 1:21) The name Jesus means "the Lord saves". The name of Jesus tells us that God is on a rescue mission. The name of Jesus tells us that we are the reason for the season. If we were not sinners there would not have been that first Christmas!

Every time you think about birth of Jesus this season, remember his name tells us about our deep need and God's amazing grace. And as you pray and sing the "name that is above all other names" (Philippians 2:9) bear in mind that through faith your identity is based on knowing that you are dearly loved by God.

In that way we all become a David!

Prayer: "Lord Jesus thank you for coming to save me from sins. May your name ever be my source of strength and hope. In your name I pray. Amen"

Gift to others: Say the names of 3 people who serve you today.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

My name means sweet and gentle one who cares. It's German decent
Tabatha